Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What's annoying me lately?

Couldn't think of any one topic on which to focus in today's blog entry. So instead, I thought I'd go with a simple, yet detailed, list of things in the world of sports that are bothering me at present.

So, without further ado ...

- My Milwaukee Brewers, who are (as of this posting) in first place in the NL Central, can't get no respect. No respect at all. No one, including yours truly, thought they'd be worth a crap this year, but nearly a third of the way through this season, they're leading a division most thought the Cubs would run away with.
But you'd never know that watching ESPN. Brewers highlights are buried on SportsCenter, if they're even shown at all. And none of their so-called analysts think the Brewers have a shot to hold on to that lead. For the record, neither do I. But they have two of the brightest young stars in the game (Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder) and a young pitcher in Yovani Gallardo who is off to a pretty damn good start (5-2, 3.18 ERA, 65 strikeouts).
Just because they don't spend billions of dollars like the Sox and Yanks, or have idiot players like Manny Ramirez, the Brewers get no love and are almost never on national TV.

- I realize and concede that Tom Brady coming back from his knee injury is a big deal. My disdain for the Patriots is no secret, and even I'm curious to see what he can do this season. But it's June. The season doesn't start for months. "A source close to Tom Brady said the quarterback walked from the practice facility to his car with no pain in his knee yesterday." I don't care. Talk to me in September if and when he's dodging defensive ends and getting hit with no pain.

- Speaking of QBs who get too much press, I've been happy to hear no mention recently of a couple guys who should remain nameless and unemployed. Let's just call them BF and MV.

- I've alluded to it before on this blog, but what's up with all the LeBron James haters? Scott Barrett, who I think is president of the LeBron Haters Club, has tried to explain his side. But I'm still baffled that so many people have such a negative opinion of a guy who is so talented, never shows up in the police reports, never has a derogatory word to say about anyone and has never demanded a trade or held out for a new contract. It's not enough that his team lost in the conference finals. Let's trash him for not shaking hands with the Magic players after Game 6. That's weak.

No comments: