Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Prince is king of Derby

OK, I'll admit it. I probably wouldn't have stayed up to watch the entire Home Run Derby on Monday night if Prince Fielder hadn't been in the running. Until this year, I can't remember the last time I watched until the end.

That said, I was pretty impressed with Prince's performance (alliteration intended). He bested the two hometown boys (the Cardinals' Albert Pujols and St. Louis native Ryan Howard) and hit the four longest homers of the night. In a competition where guys tend to run out of gas late, making for an anticlimactic finish, Fielder was consistent through all three rounds.

Aside from the absurd amount of time that this competition consumed, watching Fielder, Nelson Cruz, Pujols and Howard battle it out was pretty entertaining.

Of course, it's easier to pay attention when a guy from your team is in it, and wins it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree it was very drawn out. My son and I were out in St. Louis for the entire week for his Make a Wish trip (which by the way Make a Wish and MLB did an amazing job - unbelievable surprises at every turn). I had never seen the Home Run Derby before (my son of course had), but it wasn't done the way I had expected and seemed like it could definitely be very boring if one of your team players was not in the running or you weren't there watching in person. I was so sure one of the hometown boys would win it - Fielder is great though and we were thrilled when he won...however if a Red Sox player had been in the running that would be a different story altogether!