Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Brett's back ... again ... for now

In the words of John McEnroe: You cannot be serious!

I know I shouldn't be surprised to hear this afternoon's news that Brett Favre changed his mind for the 132nd time and decided to sign with the Minnesota Vikings. But for some reason, I never thought he'd actually go through with it. Favre's heart clearly wasn't in it last season with the Jets, and the fact that he waited this long made me think he really didn't want to go through all the rigors of an NFL season again. No one has ever doubted his desire to play, but he gave the impression the last few years that it was the practices and meetings and obligations other than the actual games that wore him down.

Apparently he thinks he's ready to endure those obligations again to spite his former team, the Green Bay Packers.

Admittedly, I am a bit concerned the Vikings will have Favre, even though he's going to be 40 and has a torn rotator cuff. But I'm also eager to see if he can set an NFL single-season record for interceptions (George Blanda set the record at 42 in 1962, and I think Brett can easily surpass that number) and blow up an NFC contender from the inside.

And, of course, I can't wait to hear his reception when the Vikings visit Lambeau Field on Nov. 1. And if any fans wearing green and gold cheers Favre that day, they should have their season tickets revoked. I'm going to boo him heartily from my living room, and I would expect nothing less from anyone who considers him or herself a Packers fan.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

"he thinks he's ready to endure those obligations" - I'm not so sure. He may pull his primadonna act like he did in GB and be allowed to skip meetings, practices etc. Hey, he's a legend in his own mind! He doesn't need to do those things. Brett is the me me me me in Team. Or his motto may be as my grandmother used to say "I'm old, I can do what I want". Either appears to work for Brett. I'd wish the ViQueens good luck but then again, nah.

SheilaM said...

Hey, keeps the heat off of T.O.

Josh Krueger said...

This was a text message response from my friend Ben, who despite being an overall good guy, is a Vikings fan:

"I don't think he has ever been surrounded by this good of a run game, so we will see. Also, anything to (tick) off Packer fans is OK by me."

Jerk.

Cheryl said...

Newsflash Ben: The majority of Packer fans do not care what Brett does. The Vikes can have him.

Josh Krueger said...

True, but he has a point. Brett going to the Vikings sent our Brett Favre rage-o-meters way into the red.

Cheryl said...

No, not really. Most fans I talk with and listen to really don't care anymore. Was it spite? Of course it was. But when even the Gov of our fair state is making jokes at Brett's expense you know the anger is pretty much gone. A year ago Doyle wouldn't have dared to poke fun at our ICON. Now everybody is.

As I emailed to you, I just wish he'd go away. Wherever that is. I'm tired of his "aw shucks" hillbilly act, the dirty hat and the ratty t-shirt. Too bad Erv isn't around to kick him in the butt.