Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fantasy frustration

There's nothing more frustrating in fantasy football than making a decision to start or bench a player that directly results in a loss. Examples: In Week 1, I started Matt Schaub at quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb. McNabb lit up the Panthers while Schaub stunk against the Jets, and I lost. Had I started McNabb, I would have won. In Week 2, I sat Schaub and started Mark Sanchez. Sanchez had a solid game (163 yards and a touchdown) against the Patriots, but Schaub went off to the tune of 357 yards and four touchdowns. I lost by 5 points.

But, I lost any and all right to complain after Monday night's Colts-Dolphins game. Going into said game, my wife, Paula, was losing by 50.7 points, and wasn't terribly optimistic about her chances, despite having Peyton Manning and Dallas Clark in her lineup. We woke up Tuesday morning to find that Manning passed for 303 yards and two touchdowns and Clark caught seven passes for 183 yards and a touchdown.

Could the improbable comeback be a reality?

Nope. Manning and Clark combined for 50.6 points, an outstanding game by any standards, but one tenth of a point too little for Paula to avoid defeat. And, of course, there were a couple players on her bench who, if they'd been in the lineup, would have given her a victory.

Such is the life of a fantasy football player.

3 comments:

Scott Barrett said...

I kind of don't agree with tenths and hundredths of points in fantasy. That makes things a little too heartbreaking when you lose. I'd settle for a tie any day.

Josh Krueger said...

I'm sure Paula would agree with you. Until this year, we'd never used partial points in our league. But everyone was in favor of them this year.
Without them, Paula would have tied, which probably would have been pretty maddening, too.

Anonymous said...

....I see you guys are enjoying another private chat...