Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Instant replay is the correct call

The first thing I do when I get my latest issue of Sports Illustrated is read the column on the back flap. Then I go to the letters from the readers. This week, old school baseball enthusiasts fought against the use of instant replay, claiming it took the "human element" out of the game.

As a fan, if my team is on the wrong end of a game-changing call that could have been corrected via instant replay, I'm not going to be happy. And I'm just a fan. I can only imagine how players and managers feel. Technology is becoming so advanced that the game needs to change with it.

It's like watching a horror movie in the theater. You know the killer is coming to get the girl, and you scream at the screen. But she can't hear you ... and BOOM, she's dead. You can see the call is wrong on the replay, and you scream at the umpire, telling him to change the call ... but sorry, the call stands. Your team is killed.

The writers to SI claim the games are too long, and instant replay would only add to the length of games. Here's a few solutions: speed up pitchers, don't allow batters to lollygag in between pitches (that means keeping David Ortiz from spitting on his hands every 9 seconds) and shorten the time between innings. But baseball will lose out on some advertising dollars!??!

Tough. It's better than losing this fan and millions like me.

No comments: