Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bowl-ing for controversy

I've made it no secret that I'm a fan of the Florida Gators, and obviously the face of the school's football program is Tim Tebow. Sure, he's a stud quarterback and I loved watching him play, but I don't always agree with what he says or does. He's very much a person with strong beliefs, one who is quick to thank God after every win (or loss) and wears scriptures on his eye black. And that's fine with me.

A Christian organization, Focus on the Family, will use Tebow and his mother as spokespeople for an ad that is anti-abortion and is scheduled to run during the Super Bowl. CBS, which is broadcasting the game, has reviewed and approved the script, which tells the story about how Pam Tebow was urged to abort her fifth child, Tim, who went on to lead the Gators to two national championships and win the Heisman Trophy.

Abortion is clearly a hot-button topic, and women's rights groups - the National Organization for Women, the Feminist Majority and others - have urged CBS to pull the ad.

"An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year — an event designed to bring Americans together," Jehmu Greene, president of the New York-based Women's Media Center, told reporters.

Can we all just agree that last part is incorrect, seeing as though it pits two teams - and two fan bases - against each other? Anyway, Tebow addressed the controversy after Monday's Senior Bowl practice.

"I know some people won't agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe," Tebow said to reporters. "I've always been very convicted of it (his views on abortion) because that's the reason I'm here, because my mom was a very courageous woman. So any way that I could help, I would do it."

As with most major issues in this country, I'm on the fence - the place that provides the best seat to watch both sides make fools of themselves. Besides, this isn't about me or my opinions. I just think that if someone wants to pay the $2.5 million it costs to run a 30-second ad, let them do it. Nobody is stopping the women's rights groups from doing the same.

Additionally, if your take on abortion does a complete 180 because Tim Tebow tells you it's inhumane, or against Christian beliefs, than you have far greater issues. And if you don't like what you're seeing, change the channel ... it'll only be 30 seconds.

2 comments:

Josh Krueger said...

Unlike you, my wishy-washy friend, I do tend to take sides on most issues. And like most things Tebow preaches about, I'm against him on this one.

I side with the ladies, meaning I leave the choice whether to have an abortion to them. And no one other than a woman's friends and family have a right to opine on the subject. That includes the Tebows.

You're right that he and his crazy mom (I'm assuming she's got to be a little bit nutty) have the right to interrupt our enjoyment of the Super Bowl with their message, if someone was willing to pay for the time. And any organization that would like to rebut has that right, as long as they have the cash. But, honestly, it's not worth it.

I'll listen to the ad, once, knowing that I won't agree with what's said. And then I'll have another reason to be annoyed with in-your-face Christians who think they're doing good in the world by trying to force their beliefs on others.

Tim Tebow was a hell of a college football player. Like most, I have doubts about his potential as a pro. But I wish he'd just shut up and play ball.

johnny v said...

I am with you scott if you don't want to watch change the channel