Thursday, March 11, 2010

Nomar comes full circle



You know those moments when people will ask, “Where were you when …. ?”

The JFK assassination and the 9-11 attacks are two popular ones, but the most in my life have to do with sports. I remember where I was when the Patriots beat the Rams to win the Super Bowl, and I remember exactly where I was when Nomar Garciaparra was traded.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and I was at my desk at The Berkshire Eagle in Pittsfield, Mass. I remember checking the AP wire relentlessly, waiting to see what the Sox were going to do before the trade deadline. And just when I figured they’d do nothing, BOOM, it came over right before the 4 p.m. deadline.

Truth be told, Nomar was my favorite player, and I was sad to see him go. He’s the reason why I wore No. 5 in college. He was the ultimate fan favorite in Boston, and when he healthy, he could produce with the best shortstops in the league.

Nomar was a member of the “Holy Trinity” of shortstops along with Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. Nothing added more fuel to the fire of an intense rivalry than screaming, “Nomaaah is bettah than Jetaaah!” at a Yankees fan. And for a small window of time, it was true.

Soon to be a member of the ESPN staff, Nomar had a tough end to his career. He played for the Cubs, the Dodgers and the A’s in his final years, posting one decent season in 2006, when he hit .303 in his first season with the Dodgers. But injuries took their toll and never allowed him to be the player he was earlier in his career.

It was obvious that although fans were irritated that he forced his way out of Boston (by turning down a 4-year, $60 million deal), he was always beloved here. When he returned in an Oakland uniform in 2009, he was given a great ovation. Retiring as a member of the Red Sox was Nomar’s way of coming to peace with the team and the fans.

And most likely are glad he did.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that nomar came back for the day and will be retiring as a Sox.

But...

Why did they only sign him for the token day? Why not have him play at least one inning against the Yanks on opening day?

Can you imagine what a crowd-pleaser that would be (not to mention ticket-seller)?

Scott Barrett said...

Maybe not opening day, because those games count, especially against division opponents, but how about a spring training game? I don't hate that idea.

Anonymous said...

Shank Shaugnessy and Sean McAdam think the whole thing was a sham and that Nomar is a total fraud. Their word is gospel. (just ask them)

Scott Barrett said...

Steve Buckley isn't a fan either, and I can only assume that it's because Nomar didn't give them the time of day, they were insulted and went to the pen and paper to rip him a new one.

Look, I'm a member of the media, but I don't feel entitled like a lot of these guys do. It's a little infuriating. If you don't give them the interview, or the answers they want to heard, expect to get bashed.

Boneheads.

Scott Barrett said...

Oops ... hear, not heard.