Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chrabascz to Cushing

Andrew Chrabascz is leaving Portsmouth High School. The sophomore basketball star decided Friday that he will transfer to Cushing Academy in Ashburnham, Mass., next fall.

After leading the Patriots to a Division II state championship this spring, Chrabascz said he was unsure if he would stay at Portsmouth or go to prep school. He said Saturday that his decision came down to Portsmouth or Cushing, and in the end, Cushing had too much to offer for him to pass up.

"My opportunities at Cushing a lot better than they are at Portsmouth," he said. "The difficult part is, I'm leaving the people I've grown up with ... but Cushing Academy is the smart thing to do, because of the exposure you get and being able to prepare you for college."

Chrabascz will be a sophomore his first year at Cushing, which will give him three years at the school to get ready for college, on and off the court. But if he completes the necessary coursework and has an appealing scholarship offer, he can go to college after his junior year.

"My goal since I was a little kid was follow in my father’s footsteps and get full ride to Division I school," Chrabascz said, referring to his father Carl, who played basketball at Penn State. "With Cushing, I get a lot more exposure, with college coaches going to practice."

Pick up The Newport Daily News on Monday for more on Chrabascz's decision to attend Cushing.

No comments: