Friday, April 23, 2010

NFL draft musings

Normally, the NFL draft isn’t very interesting to watch. The first round on Thursday night was an exception. I watched about two thirds of the first round — breaking between picks 10 and 22 to shoot at some foul-mouthed 12-year-olds in Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 — and found a few developments particularly intriguing.

Did anyone seriously think Tim Tebow was going in the first round? One of the best college football players of all time, the Heisman Trophy winner was projected by many as a third- or fourth-round NFL talent. The Broncos disagreed and took him at No. 25, creating some confusion in the process.

If the Broncos feel Kyle Orton is not the answer at quarterback, I respect that. But why take Tebow, who won’t be ready to start under center in the NFL for at least a couple years, if ever?

It’s especially odd considering Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame and Colt McCoy of Texas both were still available. Certainly there are questions surrounding Clausen (jerk) and McCoy (weak arm), but many more will accompany Tebow to Denver.

Speaking of questions, am I the only one that would have a few for Bill Belichick about the Patriots’ top pick? Clearly the Pats need help on defense, but they passed on two potentially good pass rushers, who would serve a greater need than an undersized cornerback. But, Scott Barrett’s text to me after the pick probably sums up the way most New England fans feel: “In Bill we trust.”

Patriots fans might trust Bill more than Tebow trusts Jesus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Josh....you are showing your IGNORANCE yet again....McCourty is 5' 11" ....that's "undersized"???.....what do you want?....a 6'9" corner??.....and if your talking weight, it doesn't take much for these kids to add some pounds....listen Josh, WE GET IT...you hate Belichick, you hate the Patriots.....what do you want?....a medal or something?......jeeze...move back to Wisconsin you cheesehead

Scott Barrett said...

Josh does hate the Patriots, making him the perfect foil for me on this blog. And apparently, a foil for our readers.

I wasn't crazy about this first-round pick, because I think the Pats and Belichick are all about "value" over substance.

The later rounds proved to be quite productive for New England, which filled a number of holes at linebacker, tight end and on the line.

Belichick has never been a big fan of first-rounders, anyway. See: Laurence Maroney. Too much of a crapshoot. He likes taking talented guys who aren't "first-round" talent and making them into big-time players. See: Asante Samuel.

Overall, I'm pleased with the draft. And that's contingent on how these guys pan out. I'm hoping Brandon Spikes is more Jerrod Mayo and not Shawn Crable.

Josh Krueger said...

Yes, Anonymous, 5-11 for a corner is a little on the small side. Tell me this, when Brandon Marshall, who's 6-4, and Braylon Edwards (6-3) face the red, white & blue, who do you want covering them? A 5-11 Devin McCourty, 47-year-old Shawn Springs, or 6-1 Leigh Bodden?

I've seen way too many smaller defensive backs get abused by big wide receivers. Maybe I'll end up being wrong about McCourty, but I prefer my corners between 6 feet and 6-2.

Look I GET IT. You hate me because I hate your beloved Patriots. But that has nothing to do with the fact that McCourty was a questionable pick. Take a look at some reader comments around the Web and you'll see that I'm not alone in that opinion.

Scott Barrett said...

Not to take the side of anonymous, but Darelle Revis is 5-11 and 198.