Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A couple of baseball notes

- It is being reported that George Steinbrenner, the longtime owner of the New York Yankees and the emperor of the Evil Empire, has died after suffering a massive heart attack. He was 80.

It's no secret the health of Steinbrenner has been in decline the last few years. Yes, I'm a Red Sox, but I think George Steinbrenner is one of the most fascinating people in baseball history. His sons, Hank and Hal, have taken over the day-to-day operations of the team, but when that duty belonged to George, every day was an adventure.

From his hiring-and-firing fiascoes with Billy Martin to Don Mattingly's hair to butting heads with Reggie Jackson, Steinbrenner did things his way, and that was the only way. He was a man who had plenty of ego, he loved spending his money and he love winning. And above all else, he loved owning the most popular franchise in American sports.

- The MLB Home Run Derby is one of the highlights of All-Star Weekend, but it's become a bit ridiculous. Chris Berman, who does the play by play for the event, is downright excruciating to listen to. His "Back, back, back ... " call is more than 20 years old and it's got to go.

Berman, who was honored by the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier in the day Monday, has become a bit stale as a whole. I understand that he's not going to reinvent himself, but let somebody else have a shot at calling the home run derby - as long as it's not Stuart Scott.

I'm all for raising money for good causes, but now the Home Run Derby is filled with sponsors, from insurance companies to Century 21. I guess that's just a sign of the times.

- Speaking of the Home Run Derby, it'll be interesting to see how David Ortiz responds for the second half of the season. Historically, the winner of the event struggles in the second half, and I'm sure the brass of the Red Sox are on pins and needles after watching him win it.

I remember a few years ago Bobby Abreu had an outstanding first round, won the event and was never the same player.

2 comments:

Josh Krueger said...

The reference to Steinbrenner and Mattingly reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Mr. Burns manages the company softball team and recruits a bunch of major league ringers, including Mattingly. The two butt heads over Mattingly's "sideburns," even though Mattingly clearly has none. After Mr. Burns repeatedly demands that Mattingly shave his sideburns, Mattingly shaves both sides of his head. Still unsatisfied, Mr. Burns kicks him off the team and as Mattingly walks off the field, he says, "I still like him better than Steinbrenner."

The home run derby still is kind of fun, but it needs revamping, and that revamping has to start with a new announcer. Berman is awful in baseball, and his "back, back, back" call is lame. I'd like to suggest Bob Uecker become the voice of the derby for as long as he wants the job. I'm biased, but his "Hey, get up, get up and get outta here, gone!" call always brought a smile to my face while listening to the crappy Brewers on the radio.

Cheryl said...

Steinbrenner certainly is an icon. Good bad or otherwise, no one can deny his impact on the game. Or his passion for his team. So rest in peace George. If you can.

I'm glad it just wasn't me. I had to mute the TV during the Home Run Derby. I could not stand to listen to Chris Berman. Every ball was the longest ball ever hit. And his "back, back, back......" wasn't very good twenty years ago. And his co announcer was just as bad. Uke would be great although I doubt he'd do it. I think he turned down the All Star game doings several years ago if I remember right. I would think Matt Vasgersian could have some fun with it.