Friday, August 6, 2010

Fantasy land

I used to make fun of those who enjoy fantasy football. I belittled them, called them nerds, insinuated that they have too much time on their hands.

Then I fell off my high horse. Fell hard.

Now I just make fun of fantasy baseball, basketball hockey, golf and really any other sport that has fantasy leagues. Hypocritical? Perhaps, but I’m sticking to my guns.

I’ve played fantasy football for five or six years now, and I’m not sure there’s anything that brings me as much simultaneous joy and rage. My league draft’s on Aug. 26, and even though it makes no sense to do it earlier (what with possible training camp injuries, holdouts and the like), I’d do it today, if I could.

Who’s the No. 1 overall pick? Regardless, I sure hope I don’t get that pick, because with a 14-team league, it’ll be an eternity before the person with the top pick gets to make his or her (yes, we have five ladies in the league) second selection. Is a top-notch wide receiver worth a first-round pick? Who else in the league might be eyeing the same players I’m eyeing?

So many questions. So many days until they are answered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always found the people who made fun of fantasy sports to be amusing......I mean, it's a harmless little thing. Why some people (usually sports media people) found a need to poke fun of it always baffled me....I guess it's just the world we live in.....(psst....but don't poke fun at the gays. no, no, no, that's just not right)

Scott Barrett said...

I suggest you step away from your computer from time to time, get outside and take in some fresh air.