Monday, August 30, 2010

Touching on the headlines

- Rogers Clemens will be arraigned today on charges of lying to Congress. Perhaps the best pitcher of this generation spend 30 years in jail for lying to Congress. Let me slow this down. A baseball player. Who allegedly took steroids. Could serve 30 years (although it'll likely be between 15-21 months. Got to love the U.S. judicial system). For lying to Congress.

I'm no fan of Roger Clemens, but I have a huge problem with this. Firstly, the economy is in the tank and unemployment numbers are through the roof, yet the government is wasting its time with baseball players.

Note to Congress: Stay out of sports; fix the country.

- A 13-year-old boy was killed on Sunday when he was racing his motorcycle at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Let me slow this down. A 13-year-old boy was killed. When he was racing his motorcycle. At Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Apparently he's one of the best youth motorcyclists in the world, but he lost control of his bike on a test run and was run over by a another motorcyclist, a 12-year-old.

I'm not yet a parent, but I can assure you that when I become one, my 13-year-old, who won't yet have a driver's license, won't be on a motorcycle nearing speeds of 120 mph.

- Matt Kuchar won The Barclays on Sunday for his first victory of the season, and in the process, moved into the No. 1 spot in the FedEx Cup standings. I interviewed Kuchar a few years back at the CVS Charity Classic in Barrington, and Sunday's win couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Here's to rooting for Kuchar to take the $10 million that comes with winning golf's version of the playoffs.

But here's what I don't get. If the "regular season" means so much, how can one guy (Matt Laird) go from No. 95 to No. 3 with just one second-place finish? Like the BCS, I think that system needs some tweaking.

No comments: