Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Family value

Among the many absurd happenings in the world of sports is the claim by millionaire athletes that they need to provide for their families, and thus, need more money.

The latest to suggest that his multi-million-dollar deal just isn’t enough to pay the bills is none other than Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss. The mercurial Moss went on a 16-minute rant about his contract, or lack thereof after this season, with New England on Sunday after the Patriots' win over Cincinnati.

He backtracked, slightly, on Tuesday, but said in an interview with the Associated Press that his family is, “looking for me for financial stability. Is that fair? No. But that’s life and I accepted that and that’s where I’m coming from. Hopefully, people will understand where I’m coming from. It’s not that I’m asking for 30, 40 million a year. I’m just asking for another contract.”

I’ll admit I am not, have never been and never will be a Moss admirer, but he’s insane. He’s scheduled to make $6.4 million this year, which is the last of a three-year, $27 million deal. What family couldn’t sustain itself with an average of $9 million a year? OK, maybe Antonio Cromartie’s family, and his 42 children — I kid, he only has seven ... by six different women.

By and large, I’m sick of players who are unhappy with the contracts they sign and demand more money. But at least some man up and admit that they just want to get paid.

The whole “I have to provide for my family” garbage barely works for guys playing under their rookie contracts. They haven’t had that big payday yet, so I’ll buy the financial stability claim for a little while.

Moss, however, has made more than $55 million in the past decade. Unless his four kids each own their own pro sports teams, the Moss family should be in pretty good shape financially.

Moss already is one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL. But if he wants to cash in one last time near the end of his career, fine. He should just admit that it has less to do with his family and more to do with greed. If he were honest about it, I might respect him a little.

1 comment:

Scott Barrett said...

When Moss said this, I don't think he means his immediate family. I think he means generations of the Moss family down the line. I have no problem with it.

What I do have a problem with, though, is when columnists Moss is selfish asking for more money when we're "in these tough economic times." You think these guys are making too much money? Don't watch the game. Don't go to the game. Don't buy the jersey. The reason these guys are making so much money, and contracts are reaching outrageous figures is because of you, Joe Fan who sitting in his living room every Sunday, watching the NFL Red Zone channel, wearing a Tom Brady jersey while sipping beer out of his Patriots mug.

So I have no problem with Moss asking for more money. He's proven - by this play on the field - that he's worth every penny.

And why is nobody pointing the blame on the owners, or the league itself? As much as I love football, I hope the NFL strikes next season. These guys are taking years off their lives to make sure the owners' pockets are lined nicely.

As a fan, when money gets involved, as it always does, it turns me off to the game.