Monday, December 6, 2010

Musings from a mauling

The big Monday Night Football showdown between the Patriots and Jets turned out to be a big boring beat down. What happened during the game wasn't terribly interesting (to anyone outside New England), so in my boredom in the fourth quarter, my thoughts wandered elsewhere.

In the first half, Patriots fans began mocking the famous Jets chant, "J-E-T-S, JETS! JETS! JETS!" with their own version, "J-E-T-S, SUCK! SUCK! SUCK!" It was funny at first, but got old quickly. Of course, the drunker fans got, the funnier they probably thought they were.

At halftime, longtime Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi was honored for some inexplicable reason. I figured it was because the team was inducting him into its Hall of Fame, but apparently they just wanted to parade him out, have him throw on his old No. 54 jersey and wax poetic about his glory days. No disrespect to Bruschi. Guy was a hell of a player. But this pomp and circumstance seemed pretty pointless, other than giving fans a chance to dust off their Bruschi jerseys.

"I've always said that was the biggest compliment fans ever gave me, to wear my jersey," Bruschi said as he met with reporters in the press box. "I still see them once in a while, and it's very flattering."

Every time I come here, I look down into the stands to try and find the most unique jersey worn by a fan. The honor this time goes to a guy with an old Laurence Maroney No. 39 jersey with a piece of paper reading "WOODHEAD" taped over Maroney's name. I've said it before and I'll say it again, someone needs to manufacture personalized replacement nameplates for NFL jerseys. That's a million-dollar idea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Josh. I'm so sorry you found the game "boring"....I found it most enjoyable. In fact I couldn't get enough of this BEATDOWN. Stayed up until about 2:00AM watching the post game stuff. Rex Ryan was hysterical. He kept trying to talk tough but had a "shellshocked, deer in the headlights" look about him.
Once again, sorry you didn't enjoy the game Josh but in case you didn't notice you are in NEW ENGLAND so we NEW ENGLANDERS were having a good time. Maybe you should think of going back to wherever it is you came from. I think you might be happier there.
Have a nice day.

Scott Barrett said...

Rarely do I stick up for Josh, but I had no problem turning it off once the lead reached six touchdowns. It did get rather boring.

I agree that Rex Ryan still tried to keep his bravado during his postgame, which was hysterical. Still, don't count this team out when the playoffs come. When Belichick said it was just one win in a long season, believe him.

Anonymous said...

So, Scott, I guess you're not a Patriot fan either. I also rarely get excited by a one sided beatdown like this, but you have to look at the whole situation. This was a Jets team that has talked trash since before the season with how awesome they would be, and how they were a Super Bowl caliber team. So considering how pompous this Jets team has been, this deserved "smackdown" was truly awesome and most welcome! I sure wasn't the only one who relished each touchdown. Recall when we were already up by 30 or so, with a 4th and 1. Even Belichick would have just kicked a field goal playing most any other team, but not this Jets team, not this year, not after all their undeserved arrogance. Oh no, we all yelled for our coach to go for that 1st down and the touchdown, and he did, and they got it and we all, (ALL Patriot fans) smiled:)

Scott Barrett said...

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Pats fan than myself. But it was, indeed, one game in a 16-game regualr season. Just like the Super Bowl 42 was one game in a 19-game season.

I was at that game in Glendale, and I learned right then and there that you shouldn't get too excited until the mission is completed.

I'll join you in that level of jubliation if New England wins on Feb. 6.

Anonymous said...

Oh please Scott with the, "you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Pats fan than myself"

in your previous post you wrote: "I had no problem turning it off once the lead reached six touchdowns. It did get rather boring"

The Pats were playing their biggest rivals who just love to run their mouths. If you found the game "boring" or turned it off at any point then you really aren't a big fan. I have to put you in the "casual fan" catagory.