Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vick, Eagles are unlikable

There was a time, not long ago, when there was no team I hated more than the New England Patriots. In the NFL hatred rankings in my head, the Patriots held the No. 1 spot almost as long as Tiger Woods held the No. 1 golf ranking.

But this year, much like Tiger, New England has fallen from No. 1.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not rushing out to buy a No. 12 Tom Brady jersey. Far from it.
(Besides, I already have a No. 12 football jersey.)

This season, however, I’ve already found myself rooting for the Patriots twice, and there’s a chance it could happen again in February. I guarantee neither the Bears nor Vikings (the two teams I enjoyed watching the Patriots pummel) are going to be in the Super Bowl. But one of the favorites from the NFC has become a team that no one outside Philadelphia (hint, hint) should support.

Honestly, I find Philly fans a little more objectionable than usual based on their Michael Vick crush.

Some want to peg Vick’s resurgence as the feel-good story of the 2010 NFL season. For me, it’s the feel-angry story. People gush about how he’s paid his debt to society and is making the most of a second chance, and it makes me want to puke.

As deplorable as Vick’s dogfighting transgressions were, he did deserve another shot at football. But now that he has one, and is doing rather well, many are too quick to exalt him. I hated Vick before all the dogfighting stuff came to light (the word overrated comes to mind), and it’s easier to hate him now that he seems so loved.

So, if this football season ends with a Patriots-Eagles Super Bowl, I would have no choice but to back the Pats. Between Vick, idiot receiver DeSean Jackson and the way the team treated Donovan McNabb, the Eagles are utterly unlikable.

I just wish teams would start dusting off film of Vick from 2006, when he ran for 1,000 yards but overall was a mediocre QB and the Falcons were 7-9. Defenses figured him out once. Hopefully they'll do it again … and soon.

4 comments:

Scott Barrett said...

When I read the Sports Illustrated story about him, which was supposed to be a tale of redemption, I couldn't help but think this was all an act.

I didn't hate the guy when he played for the Falcons, I said he deserved a second shot at football, but there's just something a little off about him.

Either way, Eagles aren't going to the Super Bowl, so don't worry.

Cheyenne said...

I know many people that like the Eagles far more than the Patriots. Wherever you got these rankings from must be biased. The Patriots are always winning, when was the last time the Eagles won a Super Bowl? You don't like the Bears, Vikings or the Eagles and said you have a #12 jersey so I take it your a Packers fan. Since you like the Packers your OPINION is biased. About Vick you brought up 2006 well this is the 2010 Vick. I think that your being a hater so go ahead and make asumptions but this is the new Vick.

Anonymous said...

I,I,I,I,I,I,...jeeze Josh, you sound like Brett Favre......you write for a tiny newspaper. Nobody really gives a rat's ass what you think.

Scott Barrett said...

Just wondering, what makes his opinion any less credible than someone who writes for a major metro paper?