Monday, December 20, 2010

Wrapping up Week 15

- A friend of mine said to me the other day, "I'm looking into plane tickets for Dallas," obviously thinking the Patriots are a lock for Super Bowl XLV. On a side note, when is the NFL going to dump these annoying Roman numerals?

Yes, I think the Patriots are the best team in the league, but games like Sunday night prove that anything can happen on any given Sunday. The Packers, with their backup quarterback at the controls, gave New England all it could handle. During their loss to the Cleveland Browns, their last defeat, the Patriots admitted that a bad week of practice led to the loss. I wonder what happened at this last week of practice.

Especially with the Jets' victory over the Steelers, Tom Brady and company should be very happy they snuck out of Gillette Stadium with a win. More importantly, it gave me bragging rights over Daily News sportswriter Josh Krueger, who really believed his Packers could pull this one out.

Sorry, Josh.

- Ever since Super Bowl XLII, I've hated the Giants. So a little smirk came across my face when DeSean Jackson returned a punt for a game-winning touchdown on the final play of the game.

- You have to wonder what the future holds for Randy Moss. For the second straight game, the former New England Patriots receiver wasn't targeted, and furthermore, it proved the Titans can win without him.

- The Ravens, who defeated the defending champion Saints, will be a tough out in the playoffs.

- Brett Favre has been updated to questionable for tonight's game against the Bears. Why do I have this sneaking suspicion he'll play?

1 comment:

Josh Krueger said...

Actually, I didn't start "believing" until the Packers' last possession of the game, and even then, it was cautious optimism, at best.

Scott may recall, and if he doesn't his phone will, a text I sent to him a few hours before kickoff.

"you planning on coming over to watch the beat down?"

Those are the not the words of a confident Green Bay fan.

I'm not going to go the "If Aaron Rodgers had played we would have won" route. Although I certainly would have preferred if he were on the field for the last 30 seconds.

Scott's right about the Ravens being a tough playoff matchup. The Steelers and Jets won't be a picnic, either. I'm well aware that the Patriots manhandled both of those teams in their most recent meetings, but neither the Jets nor Steelers are as bad as New England made them look, and it won't happen again.

I wouldn't book that trip to Dallas just yet.