Monday, January 17, 2011

Coping with a loss

Has everyone picked up his or her jaw off the floor by now? If so, you’ve probably moved on to the second stage of grief: pain. Once the sting of the Patriots’ 28-21 loss to the Jets on Sunday wears off, you may feel anger that your team’s once-promising season is over.

Then comes depression, which unfortunately likely will be enhanced by watching the Steelers and Jets in the AFC championship game on Sunday. But stay strong, there is light at the end of the tunnel. You’ll begin to come to grips with the fact that the Patriots won’t play again until September (unless you count the few of them who will play in the Pro Bowl). You’ll work through the loss and eventually accept reality.

I share this information to poke fun, but not just at Patriots fans, at all of us. Most sports fans have been there at some point or another. The last time Patriots fans likely were there was the same season I was. A couple weeks before the Giants pulled off the upset of all upsets and ruined New England’s bid for a perfect season, those same Giants (with some help from Brett Favre) ruined a couple of days for me.

The Packers loss in the 2007 NFC title game was, by far, the most devastating of my life as a Green Bay fan. And I’m embarrassed to say a football game sent me into a funk that lasted far too long. I promised my wife that won’t happen if the Packers lose again this season, but if they do, there’s no denying I’ll experience at least some of what you’re going through right now.

Taking one for The Daily News sports team, I missed most of the Patriots-Jets game to cover the University of Rhode Island basketball game. But, working under the assumption that Scott is too wrought with grief to comment right now, I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

Certainly some things I did see late in the game struck me as odd — a 2-point conversion to make it a three-point game after a third-quarter touchdown, going for it on fourth and 13 instead of trying a field goal. But I suppose you have to trust your future Hall of Fame coach on those decisions.

Overall, though, cliched as it is, it just seemed like the Jets wanted it more.

What’s your take?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

"the 45-3 whipping Tom Brady and company put on Rex Ryan's team proves that New England holds a distinct advantage in that pairing.

So as tough as this is to type ... J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!"

A case of Be Careful What You Wish For.

I thought the Pats were very lack-luster. On some of the sacks it looked like Brady's grandmother could have gotten out of them. He just seemed to fall down.

And yes, I am a die-hard Packer fan but I was looking forward to this game. It should have had a lot of emotion and attitude. It did but only on the Jets side.

I was hoping for a PLAYOFF game with some good hits, great passes, amazing runs and high excitement. Sure was a letdown to this viewer.

Scott Barrett said...

To me, and mostly because I have a long memory, this one doesn't sting as badly. Being up 21-3 on the road in the AFC title game then losing, now that stings.

Being in the pressbox when Plaxico Burress hauls in the game-winning touchdown in the final minute of the Super Bowl. That stings.

Sure, while losing to your rival at home when you're favored by more than a touchdown is never fun, this loss (for me, anyway) doesn't carry that same depression-type feeling those other two did.

And yes Cheryl, you should be careful for what you wish for. I guess this just goes to show that the Patriots weren't, in fact, the best team out there.

Paul said...

More importantly, how was the University of Rhode Island game?

Cheryl said...

Well, Packer fans may very well fall into that same careful what you wish for category. We all wanted the Bears in the Championship and we got 'em.

Vegas has the Pack at 3 point favorites but as we all know, anything can happen. Still think the Pack had a great year even with all of the injured players.

Go Pack Go! (that's for you Murph)