Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sosa reportedly tests positive

The New York Times is reporting that former Chicago Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa, who along with Mark McGwire captivated the baseball-viewing world 11 years ago with their chase of the season-season home run record, failed a drug test in 2003.

Sosa reportedly is on the list of 104 players who tested positive in baseball's anonymous survey, the same one Alex Rodriguez showed up on a few months back.

To expose Sammy Sosa as a steroid user is like revealing that Adam Lambert is gay - not surprising whatsoever. What I do want to know, though, is who is leaking these names? This list was supposed to be confidential, and yet two of the game's biggest stars have been outed. I'm not sticking up for them, nor defending their actions, but if you're going to name two, name the rest.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I contend these particular names were leaked because there's money to be made - GASP!

Try this on for size: The economy is in the tank, and an underpaid MLB employee has this information at his disposal. Somebody comes knocking, offering to pay for the names of a few stars on that list. The bigger the star, the bigger the offer because nobody cares if Mark Belhorn was juicing.

Are we to believe that it was merely coincidental that A-Rod's name was leaked at around the same time a book about him (written by Selena Roberts) was released? Not long from now, you can expect a book about Sammy Sosa.

It's just another black eye that baseball can't seem to avoid.

3 comments:

Josh Krueger said...

I had to Google Adam Lambert to find out who you were talking about. Now I've got some questions for you, my friend. But that can wait for another time.

To be honest, there's not a thing I find interesting about these six-year-old steroid "revelations." As Scott alluded to, Sammy Sosa testing positive should come as a surprise to absolutely no one. The man was caught using a corked bat. Why would anyone think he wouldn't use 'roids, too?

As for the rest of the list, I really couldn't care less, because I guarantee there isn't a name on it that would stun me. Except for, maybe, Craig Counsell, who was proclaimed by The Onion as the best player of the steroid era.

Scott Barrett said...

Maybe if you'd stop playing Call of Duty 4 for about five minutes, you'd realize there's a world out here. I'm not saying I'm an Adam Lambert fan, but geez, the guy is everywhere nowadays.

Anyway, this list intrigues me, not so much the people on it. Why is it that only two of the biggest stars have been named? Major League Baseball can't be happy about these names, which were supposed to be confidential, being leaked.

If this happened in the medical field, you could expect a lawsuit.

Josh Krueger said...

I'd rather play 36 straight hours of Super Mario Bros. 2 than watch 5 minutes of American Idol or know anything about anyone on the show.
Why it's so popular is beyond me.