Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wake me when football season starts

This might be the most boring time of the year as far as sports are concerned. No more NBA. The only hockey games worth watching (Stanley Cup finals) are over. And the NFL season is almost three months away.

What's a fan to do, watch baseball? Well, my Brewers are doing quite well (still in first place as of this post), but they're on national TV about twice a season, and I can't get excited about seeing the highlights the next morning, because ESPN will show Red Sox and Yankees highlights two or three times before they get to the Brewers ... if they get to the Brewers.

I need football, stat! I need NFL Sunday Ticket. I need fantasy football. I need to see Brett Favre in a purple Vikings jersey, leading the league in interceptions and showing his age as a way-past-his-prime QB for a team that has set the bar ridiculously low at that position. I need to see Tom Brady crumple into the fetal position as Bills defender closes in on him in the backfield in Week 1. I need to see Aaron Rodgers continue to blossom into the top-5 quarterback he's destined to become and lead the Packers back to the playoffs.

*sigh* At least the weather has been awful so far this summer.

2 comments:

Scott Barrett said...

OK, other than your awkward typo in the headline here, you couldn't be further off base. It's as if you specifically wrote this post on Opposite Day (with the expcetion of the Brett Favre talk, which is true).

You know you're simply trying to get under the skin of our readers by speaking ill about Tom Brady. Often it works, but not with me. The sad part is you know the Patriots are going to be good, and you fear the Packers are going to be awful.

Josh Krueger said...

Of course the Patriots are going to be good. I'm not an idiot, despite the opinions of so many fair-weather Patriots fans (which, by the way, is a majority of them). The crack about Brady was more wishful thinking than anything. I think it would be hilarious to see him running around the backfield, scared out of his mind, like the backup QB in "Necessary Roughness."
And there's no need for me to boast any further about the Packers. Suffice it to say, they're going to surprise some people (in a good way) this year. Wait and see.