Monday, July 20, 2009

'Becks' needs a kick in the pants

I'll admit that I know as much about soccer as I do about quantum mathematics, but what David Beckham is doing right now is simply absurd. On Saturday night, the English star, who signed a monster deal to play with the L.A. Galxay of the MLS, apparently confronted a fan at the half of the team's home game.

Fans had plenty to say about 'Becks' and not much was positive. I guess I don't get why he was on loan to AC Milan, but Beckham has openly admitted that he wants to leave L.A. and play for the European club. Mr. Posh Spice was brought here to try to draw major interest to the world's game, but instead, he's made only enemies and infuriated the true fans of the MLS. Everyone else thinks he's just an overpaid joke. New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis went as far to say that he thinks the situation is a complete distraction and takes away from the American league.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the pond.

2 comments:

Josh Krueger said...

I have to admit, I was curious to see how the Beckham experiment was going to work out. Clearly, it hasn't ... at least not the way the Galaxy and MLS intended.

MLS, to me, is like the NHL. I need a reason to watch. I'm not just going to sit down on a random weeknight and watch an MLS (or NHL) game. I thought Beckham might be a reason for me to start watching the MLS, but I stopped caring about a week or so after he signed that gigantic contract with L.A.

Funny thing is, unlike most Americans my age or older, I actually am interested in soccer. When the U.S. men's or women's national teams are playing in a tournament (especially World Cup), I'll watch as much as I can. And the World Cup, it doesn't even have to be the U.S. playing. I'll watch just about anybody.

Perhaps it's knowing that the MLS is a second-rate soccer league that's to blame for my lack of interest in the league.

Scott Barrett said...

I agree. I'll watch the World Cup, and I'll watch the Stanley Cup finals. But a regular season game I have no interest in.

To be honest, I'd rather watch a Champions League game rather than MLS because, like you said, why not watch the best players in the world? It's not like I know who any of those players are anyway, in the MLS or in Europe.