Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Worldwide Leader of annoyance

Lately, I'm starting to realize I hate ESPN. Sure, channel 711 is the one I switch to the moment I get up or get home, and it's the one I watch right before bed. But more and more, I'm beginning to wonder why.

Yes, I like highlights. I need to know who won and what's going on in the world of sport, and there's no better channel than the one based out of Bristol, Conn., for that sort of thing. Then again, there aren't too many other options.

What I don't need, however, is injected humor from the likes of Josh Elliott, who wouldn't know funny if it punched him in the face. Just tell me who won, and which players stood out. I don't need you spouting off the newest teenage jargon in an attempt to look cool. You're not cool. Deal with it.

I also don't need so-called analysts telling me why Michael Vick should or shouldn't be allowed back in the league. Analysts aren't there to give their opinion, they're there to break down the Cover 2 defense. Do that.

If it sounds like I'm somewhat bitter, it's because I am. I started watching ESPN when I was in the fifth grade, when Tom Mees was still alive and Chris Berman still had plenty of hair. I could watch the same SportsCenter episode over 15 consecutive times because that's how much I loved it.

Nowadays, I watch ESPN because I have to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ESPN has turned into "Entertainment Tonight" and The National Enquirer....it's all about the DRAMA with them now. I watch it with the sound off.