Monday, September 28, 2009

Brett freakin' Favre

It was precisely the kind of play that Brett Favre used to endear himself to Packers fans for 16 seasons. He dodges would-be tacklers, closes his eyes and heaves a pass that, at any other time in the game, would be ill advised.

More often than not, these passes don’t work. They are overthrown, knocked down or intercepted. But when they do work, no one remembers the ones that didn’t.

That’s why Vikings fans are, so far, elated that their team decided to sign a 40-year-old quarterback just before the start of the 2009 season.

I watched that final play — a last-second Favre touchdown pass to Greg Lewis in the back of the end zone to beat the 49ers — live, and as it unfolded, I assumed an interception was inevitable.

When Lewis caught the pass, it reminded me of all the similarly great plays during Favre’s career in Green Bay. But instead of jumping up and down and celebrating in my living room as I’d done so many times, my jaw was on the floor and I suddenly felt a little sick to my stomach.

There probably isn’t a player in sports I’ve ever rooted against as much as I’m rooting against Favre this season. And given my disdain for a certain team up in Massachusetts, that’s saying something.

But, as Patriots fans might recall, Favre and his new team started off pretty hot last year, too. In the second half of the season, however, Favre started to show his age and the Jets took a nosedive.

By the end of this season, Sunday’s miracle will be a distant memory, clouded by the 20 or so interceptions Favre is destined to throw in the final 13 regular-season games and another overall disappointing Vikings season.

4 comments:

Scott Barrett said...

You are so bitter. I can't remember being as bitter as you are right now about anything that's happened in my sports life. Johnny Damon going to the Yankees? Nope. Curtis Martin going to the Jets? Nope. Brian Shaw going to the Lakers? HA!!

Honestly, it's funny to see you in such disarray. And seeing as though I picked the Vikings for the Super Bowl, it's double funny.

Josh Krueger said...

Imagine Larry Bird retiring, then coming back two years later with the Lakers and making it known that he did so to spite the Celtics. Then you might begin to understand.

None of the examples you gave can begin to compare. Johnny Damon, like most prominent Red Sox, was a hired gun to begin with. He didn't build his career in Boston. He was a good player in Kansas City and Oakland before the Red Sox acquired him.
Curtis Martin was in New England for all of three seasons. Not exactly enough time to build a legacy.
And Brian Shaw, well, is he even worth addressing? I say no.

Never in a million years did I think I could turn on Brett Favre. Neither did any of my green and gold brethren. But, here we are.

Anonymous said...

Josh, are you like 10 years old?....if you're not,here's some advice. GROW UP

Scott Barrett said...

Funny how nobody wants to put their name to their intelligent comments.