Monday, December 28, 2009

Questioning the Colts

A couple years ago, admittedly, I decried the New England Patriots' "pursuit of perfection." (On a side note, how happy is Lexus every football season with their slogan being tossed about on a daily basis?)

I thought it was arrogant and disgraceful how they kept Tom Brady & Co. in for nearly every minute of every game while they ran roughshod over the NFL en route to a 16-0 regular season, despite having clinched home field long before the final game.

It's funny how a different uniform can change your perspective.

It was quite disappointing to see the Indianapolis Colts phoning it in against the Jets on Sunday and making it clear they had no interest in a perfect season. I can't put my finger on it, but I was psyched at the possibility of two 18-0 teams (Colts and Saints) in the Super Bowl. When the Saints stunk it up against the Cowboys, I thought, at least one team still has a shot at 19-0.

Not any more. Now, no matter what happens in the final month of football, we'll have another run-of-the-mill Super Bowl winner. Not that it won't be exciting and fun to watch as the postseason unfolds. It is every year, regardless of the teams and records involved.

But I was probably alone in this region in rooting for the Colts to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. And watching Peyton Manning on the sideline in the second half, I have to believe he felt the same.

Classy as usual, though, Manning publicly backed the decision, saying he and coach Jim Caldwell were on the same page.

Imagine if it were the Vikings who were 14-0 and Brad Childress, again, wanted to pull Brett Favre. I don't doubt for a second that Favre would throw his coach under the proverbial bus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I thought it was arrogant and disgraceful how they kept Tom Brady & Co. in for nearly every minute of every game while they ran roughshod over the NFL en route to a 16-0 regular season"

LOL....yeah, a team striving to win all their games. That's "arrogant and disgraceful"....they should have rolled over and played dead. That's much more admirable.

Scott Barrett said...

The Colts clearly have specific goals for the season, and going undefeated was not one of them. I respect that.

It would be easy to keep Peyton and the starters in, but Jim Caldwell, who is trying to build a rapport with the fans in Indianapolis, will be celebrated if he wins a Super Bowl this year. If Darrelle Revis comes on a corner blitz and knocks Manning's head off, Caldwell would be run out of town.

Anonymous said...

I DON'T respect it at all....obviously winning the Super Bowl is every teams goal....but still, you have a chance to be an IMMORTAL team, a TEAM FOR THE AGES a team that will be remembered FOREVER and the Colts just put their tail between their legs and said, "oh no!,boo-hoo.. we are scared Peyton might get hurt (even though he hardly gever gets hit)

And I'm not even buying that. It had NOTHING to do with keeping players heathy. It had EVERYTHING to do with the Colts being SCARED of the PRESSURE of trying to go 19-0.....basicly the Colts are a bunch of GUTLESS little twits....which is why they will not win the Super Bowl......mark my words

Scott Barrett said...

I don't know who you are, but I will certainly mark your words. While we're at it, why don't you tell us who will win the Super Bowl?

Anonymous said...

Aloha i am fresh to this, I came upon this website I have found It absolutely accommodating & it has helped me a great deal. I hope to contribute & help other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

Howdy im fresh to this, I came accross this chat board I have found It incredibly helpful & it has helped me out alot. I should be able to give something back and guide other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Later