Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Decade of memories

I began watching sports when I was 8 years old. It was the 1986 World Series, and I kind of wish I had started in 1987. And even though I was a sports nuts throughout my formative years in the 1990s, I consider this decade when I took my passion to an extreme level (just ask Olivia, my live-in girlfriend).

With only a few days remaining in this decade, I thought I'd share some of the best memories I have watching sports, and I encourage you do list a few of yours in the comment section.

Without a doubt, the No. 1 memory I have is Feb. 3, 2002, when the Patriots defeated the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. Actually, those three weeks (the Snow Bowl and the AFC title game against the Steelers) were just awesome. I'm not sure anyone really knew just how good the Patriots were, and week after week, fans were on pins and needles.

The Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004 was just a fantastic moment. Although I don't consider myself to be a member of the media fabrication that is Red Sox Nation, it was nice to see Boston's team finally get the best of the Yankees and finish the job in the championship series.

It's been a tough few years for the Providence College men's basketball team, but being on press row to see the Friars knock off No. 1 Pittsburgh at The Dunk has to rank up there. That senior class of Geoff McDermott, Weyinmi Efejuku, Jonathan Kale and Randall Hanke knock off the Panthers was just plain awesome.

I'm a huge golf fan, and seeing the U.S. Women's Open at Newport Country Club was certainly a treat. Annika Sorenstam, who hadn't won an Open in more than a decade, defeated Patty Hurst in a playoff on Monday. Who doesn't love extra golf?

And last but not least, my favorite college team won four national championships. The Florida Gators men's basketball team won back-to-back titles with a close-knit group that returned after winning the first one. Will we ever see that again? And Tim Tebow and company took home two titles in three years.

I've been pretty lucky these past years, having seen a lot of wins and a lot of championships for my favorite teams. Here's hoping next decade can be just as successful.

2 comments:

Josh Krueger said...

I hope there isn't another sports fan who has been as spoiled as you this decade, Scott. Between the Patriots, Red Sox and Gators (and I'm surprised you left out the Celtics) all winning championships, it's really not fair to the rest of us.

Honestly, with none of my teams winning championships, there aren't a whole lot of sports memories from the past 10 years that really stand out.

I suppose the 2004 World Series was pretty sweet. I got paid the night of the clincher to sit in a bar, have a couple beers while watching the game and get some fan reaction. Then, former Daily News photographer Matt Stanley and I walked down Thames Street interviewing and photographing drunk fans celebrating. That was a pretty good time.

And, unlike Scott, I actually got to cover a Patriots Super Bowl victory. I was in Jacksonville (for what I hope was the last time) to watch the Patriots beat the Eagles by a field goal in Super Bowl XXXIX. Granted, I was quietly rooting for the Eagles (partly because all the crazy Philly fans down there frightened me a bit), but being in the winning locker room at the Super Bowl is among the highlights of my career.

Here's to a new decade that hopefully will be filled with titles for my teams.

Anonymous said...

Hey "Josh" may the next decade be as disappointing as the last one for you.....God, how I hate carpetbaggers who come to THIS part of the country only to rag on the local teams....take the next train back to Green Bay.....CHUMP!