Friday, December 18, 2009

Taking sports for face value

These days, nobody in the sports world is clean, it seems. Between the steroid scandal in baseball, the referee betting scandal in pro basketball, the recruiting violations in college basketball and the sex scandal in golf, fans should be rather jaded. Some of them are, but this one is not.

Yes, I have my opinions. Barry Bonds shouldn't be allowed in the Hall of Fame, and Pete Rose should be inducted as soon as possible. I don't care what Tiger Woods did during his private time, he's still the Athlete of the Decade.

Call me an old softy, but I take sports for face value. I know there's going to be cheaters. There have been since the spitball (thanks Frank Corridon), but it never seems to bother me. I watch sports because I love the idea of competition and don't worry too much about what's happening off the field, court or course.

Yes, I think those who are guilty ruin the experience somewhat, but not enough for me to stand on my soapbox and scream bloody murder. For as long as teams will compete against one another, someone will find a way to cheat the system. Records have fallen because of cheaters, and games that were won should have been lost because of cheaters. Heck, even the BCS is cheating in a way, considering the NCAA only cares about lining its own pocket come bowl time. That's life.

I'd like to think, though, that for every incident involving cheaters, there's a thousand examples of why we love these games and these players.

No comments: