Friday, January 15, 2010

Are you on the run?

Taking a run around Newport the other day, I noticed that, despite the pretty chilly temperatures, there were plenty of other runners braving the elements. It got me thinking.

I know why I run in the wintertime (treadmills are awful, it's a good way to get some exercise in a short amount of time, no one bothers me, my dog enjoys it), but what motivates others to bundle up and go out?

If you live in Newport County and don't mind, or even enjoy, going for a run during the winter months, I'm interested to hear how you stay warm, stay motivated and why you prefer the cold outdoors to a treadmill at the gym. And if you have any interesting and/or humorous anecdotes about cold-weather running, feel free to share.

Either post your thoughts on the blog, or send me an e-mail at Krueger@NewportRI.com. I plan to use the responses for a story that will appear in the paper, hopefully sometime next week.

Thanks, and happy running.

1 comment:

Mike Batista said...

As a rule of thumb, dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it is. The energy burned from running will provide heat. And dress in several light layers, rather than one or two heavy layers. As far as motivation goes, it helps if you're training for a marathon or a road race. In that case you need to run outside because you learn to deal with elements like wind, random hills and unpredictable terrain (like cracks in the sidewalk). You never know what you'll be dealing with the day of the race. Even though I'm a 185-pound tub of goo now, I've run four marathons, including a 3:27 in Philadelphia in 1996.