Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cup of tears

Because I'm apparently a "carpetbagger," I don't have too much experience with the America's Cup. I only know what I read. But I am very much interested in the competition for the oldest trophy in sports.

Then again, I might be the only one interested in the competition (at least outside of a courtroom), because that seems to be the last thing on anyone's mind. Thanks to a billion-year-old document, the Deed of Gift, the American team and the Swiss can't seem to come to terms on anything.

The latest flap is the fact that the Americans are concerned that the Swiss had their sails made in the United States, Nevada to be exact, and that is a violation of the Deed. Since Alinghi, the Swiss team, won the Cup in 2007, nothing but courtroom drama has occurred, marring what should be a good event, which is scheduled to start Feb. 8.

But should the fighting continue, and we have no reason to believe it shouldn't, that start day is in serious jeopardy. Personally, I think the BMW Oracle team, which sails out of Golden Gate Yacht Club, needs to stop crying, suck it up and just sail.

No comments: