Monday, September 14, 2009

Why football rules

I know Boston is a Red Sox town, but Boston resides in an NFL nation. Maybe it's the time of the year, but there's no better day than opening day in the NFL. It's still nice outside, but getting a little brisk ... perfect weather for wings. I don't ever remember making a special feast for baseball's opening day.

Anyway, I watched a ton of football yesterday, and the fact that there are about 20 more weeks to go makes me a happy camper. Also, think about where Patriots fans were a year ago today, wondering if the season was a complete wash after Tom Brady's injury. Here's to hoping he's healthy all season (one that will end with another Super Bowl title).

Speaking of the Patriots, join Daily News staffer Josh Krueger before, during and after tonight's game to talk about all things New England (or Buffalo, if that's your preference).

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

"I don't ever remember making a special feast for baseball's opening day. "
Just FYI Scott, Opening Day of MLB in Wisconsin means a special feast of brats and beer and anything and everything that goes with.
You know it's baseball time again when a smoky haze and the smell of bratwurst engulfs the parking lot at Miller Park. That wonderful aroma can be had miles away.

But football works too.

Scott Barrett said...

They have a major league team in Wisconsin? Really?!!?

Josh Krueger said...

Despite Scott's needless shot at our Brewers, he's right about one thing. The first Sunday of the NFL season is a wonderful thing.

As much fun as I've had on Opening Days in Milwaukee, if I had to choose between that and an NFL Sunday, the NFL wins 9 times out of 10, maybe more.

I watched about 8 hours of football yesterday, ate terribly unhealthy food, and had a couple beers, and I don't feel even remotely bad about doing so.

Of course, today, in an attempt to burn off a few of those calories, I played hoops for two hours and then went for a run, and I don't think I even scratched the surface. But I wouldn't change a thing about my Sunday.

Besides, as Wisconsinites know all too well, this is the time of year we forget, almost completely, about baseball.
It's football time.

Cheryl said...

No argument here. We were known to have some great football get togethers on a Sunday afternoon as I'm sure you remember. I was merely informing your slightly uninformed boss that yes indeed there are baseball opening day traditions and grub as well. At least for those of us who are lucky enough to be able to actually park at our stadium parking lot and walk in without having to take planes, trains and subway cars to get there.

Baseball Opening Day vs. Packers Opening Day? Hmm. Tough choice. The year we went to the Pack/Lions Home Opener was very cool. But I do love Opening Day of baseball.