Friday, March 21, 2008

Wisconsin teams in the tourney

I thought my mom's question was worth a new thread.
Sadly, I don't think Marquette or Wisconsin has a chance to get to the Final Four. Anything's possible, but here's the basis for my theory:
Wisconsin can't make it because they can't score a whole lot. Eventually they're going to run into a team (Kansas) that is capable of putting up 100 and the Badgers simply won't be able to keep up. UW's defense is ridiculous, but at best they might hold Kansas under 80, and scoring more than 70 is tough for the Badgers.
As for Marquette, they're going to have their hands full with Stanford and, if the Golden Eagles should somehow escape with a win there, they'll play Texas, which I have in the Final Four.

Of the two, Wisconsin has the best chance, but no one in Badgerland should count on it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A marvelous Final Four, if I may be so bold to say...

Scott Barrett said...

Has a team from Wisconsin won a national title since the 1977 Marquette team? In either football or basketball? Then again, has any pro teams won a title since then? Now there's some trivia!

Rick Grosvenor said...

I think you know full well when the last Wisconsin team championship was.
As far as college national titles, other than the Wisconsin hockey teams (men and women) winning two or three years ago, to my knowledge we don't have anything in any of the major sports.
To be fair, UW was kind of a joke for a long time until Barry Alvarez turned around the football program. And men's basketball started to become a major player maybe 10 years ago.

Scott Barrett said...

Who remembers the national title winner in hockey? Really? Next you're going to tell me UW-Stevens Point won the Division III title in men's basketball. BAHAH!

Cheryl said...

Al Maguire was a fun coach to watch. The teams were obviously good too but I tuned in for him.

I hope they do well. We all like Crean and you can't deny he's done a great job at Marquette.

Of course I'll be rooting for the Badgers too!

Scott Barrett said...

And frmo what I hear, a good guy. ... RIP Al McGuire!